Italia here we come!

We're right smack in the middle of a really exciting season of ministry. (Which, translated means, "We're running like chickens with our heads cut off").

Wednesday we're leaving for Italy with a small group of singles. We'll only be there for 6 days, and are splitting time between Florence, Bologna, and Cinque Terra. The plan for the trip is to scout out a project for a large group of singles to take on in June '08. Basically, it's a leadership development opportunity. Kari and I are taking 4 of our leaders to get a lay of the land and to meet with and observe our ministry partners on the ground. Then, they'll lead the trip in June and I won't go. There's nothing like letting people know you're about to throw them to the wolves to make leaders learn, grow, and stretch themselves with intentionality. I'm excited about the trip, mostly because I think it's a great opportunity to see some of our key leaders continue to develop.

I mentioned our ministry partners on the ground in Italy. McKinney Church supports missions about as well as any church I've ever been a part of. In addition to giving a massive amount of money to local and global missions every year, we encourage our members to view our relationships with missionaries as a partnership.

Every church I've been a part of in the past has supported missionaries, but I couldn't name three of them - much less tell you anything about where or how they're serving. A couple of times the missionary was invited to give a slideshow when they were home on furlough, but that was about the extent of our involvement.

At McKinney Church, each Adult Bible Fellowship/Small Group is asked to "partner" with a global missionary that McKinney supports. This includes financial support, but also an investment of the class in the mission the missionary is doing. That is accomplished through short-term trips (and long-term trips in a few cases), as well as regular communication and prayer. It gives the entire church a global feel, which is really cool.

It's tough to be inward focused when so much of your ministry is focused on people making a difference throughout the world.

While we're in Italy, we'll be working with Greg and Charmaine Lillestrand, who are in charge of Campus Crusade for Christ's ministry to Italy and Western Europe. We'll also be visiting with Jesse and Tricia Marcos, who are working with Greg to begin a campus ministry in Bologna at one of the oldest universities in the world.

The plane ride will allow me to get ahead on my Monday book reviews. I'm about to finish an interesting theology book I'm looking forward to reviewing, as well as a brand new book that hasn't gone to print yet, and a marketing book with a cool cover. See you when we get back!

Ciao!

2 comments:

James W said...

I would love to hear more about how your church gets people connected with their missionaries.

lisa said...

Sono così gelosa!

I had thought once of trying to convince my mother in law to teach me more about Catholicism because I had figured that most Italians would be Catholic, and I wanted to be a missionary there. (Yes, I know, but I was willing to suffer for my faith!) :)

But I'm now discovering that most Italians are atheists. Which surprises me to no end since they live in such a beautiful place. How can you NOT praise God there?

I'm excited that you and Kari get to go. Bring back some pictures!

By the way, your church sounds fantastic!