Intelligent Pasta

Well, today is my first day as an unemployed pastor. (No fear Mom, it's only until I start my new ministry next Monday, but send money if you want).

I could get used to this house-husband thing. I actually caught Sportscenter this morning for the first time in a couple of years. I sent my wife off to work so we could eat tonight, and played with the dog for an hour. Now I'm leisurely catching up on my email and blogsurfing. Life is good. Of course, when my wife gets home from work and finds the house is a mess, the dog has eaten her shoes, and I'm still sitting in front of the computer in my boxers where she left me, there will be some 'splainin to do. But for now, I'm living the high life.

I ran across this link this morning in the newspaper. http://www.venganza.org/

Apparently someone has decided to mix my two favorite pastimes: the pursuit of Truth, and the love of food. Unfortunately, the result is worse than three-day old road kill.

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is one guy's addition to the Intelligent Design debate. Bobby Henderson created the idea in response to a Kansas School Board debating on whether or not to include a discussion of Intelligent Design in their science curriculum. Henderson wondered if the school board allowed discussions of ID, whether it would be a distinctly Christian intelligent design that was taught, or if other faiths (such as the followers of the Flying Spaghetti Monster) might be given attention as well. What began as a joke has snowballed into a group of people who call themselves "Pastafarians," and give credence to my philosophy that some people really will believe anything.

I don't think there are really people do homage to the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory of creation(although my obsessive love for The New Yorker Pizza and Pasta Restaraunt in Arlington may be evidence to the contrary); or that the decrease in pirates is the real cause for global warming, something this site also claims. But unfortunately, the point Henderson makes is representative of a mindset our society holds. Whether it's the God of the Universe, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the tolerance culture believes each deserve equal time and respect in our schools and society.

0 comments: