I've got what I need.

Two of the pastors who have made the greatest impact on my personal ministry have been extreme detail-guys when it comes to preaching and teaching the Bible. They're the kind of guys who can remember the son of Eliada's name in 1 Kings 11:23 without looking it up, the date of the various church councils throughout church history, and the date of the writing of 2 Peter they hold to along with the proposed dates of other scholars even though they haven't studied 2 Peter in ten years. It's a huge benefit to their preaching because they're able to draw from a wealth of intuitive knowledge, which saves a bunch of time.

I'm not like that. I've tried to be like that, but I just can't do it. My short-term memory is really strong. I do well with big concepts and ideas, and can remember things extremely well for as long as the need-to-remember is apparent. In college, I very rarely had to study because I was able to remember things long enough to get them on the test. But as soon as the test was over, something happened inside my brain and I forgot everything I had remembered for a whole semester.

The thing is, I love details. Especially when it comes to my preaching, I love to be thorough. I love knowing, for example, that the word "knowledge" is found in the second verse of 2 Peter and in the last verse of 2 Peter, and that the word for "add lavishly to" shows up in 2 Peter 1:5 and 1:11 as bookends on the passage. But I'll forget those details sometime next Monday, and will have to rely on the notes in my Bible to recall them if I ever want to know those details again.

It used to really bother me that I couldn't be like those guys. Now, I'm learning to be okay with it. Although I keep trying to sharpen that skill, I'm realizing that I don't have to be good at Bible Trivia to be a good pastor. I don't have to think like them to have a ministry as successful as theirs, or to be as good a preacher as them. God has given me everything I need to live life in a godly way (2 Peter 1:3), which includes the ministry He's called me to have. That's good enough for me, and will have to do for the church I serve.

Just don't ask me to be on your Bible Trivia team.

5 comments:

HolyBibleTrivia.org said...

Hello Chris Freeland,
I enjoyed reading your article. If you have the time any feedback on Holy Bible Trivia would be appreciated. The goal is to encourage people to get closer to Jesus Christ.

Thanks.

A side note: What is the word for "add lavishly to" :)

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I would consider myself an extreme detail guy... I can't remember a thing! Oh wait... so does that mean you're not talking about...

Dang.

Just be you. Who you are is more than good enough for any church I've ever been in. McKinney is lucky... lucky I haven't tried to steal you back that is.

nick strobel said...

That was not a reference to you, you always berated me to my face. Seriously though I never had anything but admiration and respect for you bro.

Kitty said...

you are a delight to read! My husband, Tim, (who went to Moody with Phil Johnson) says he had a special compartment in the front of his brain that he crammed full for tests, and emptied onto test paper, without using any of the memory storage in the rest of his brain, saving room for important stuff, like where the best burgers in Chicago are (Mr G's), and how his wife likes her coffee (flat white). You'll go far!

Chris Freeland said...

hbt: The word is "ἐπιχορηγήσατε." It refers back to the person in Greek culture who was responsible for hiring, training, and equipping the choruses for ancient greek melodramas. Because the melodrama was the pride of each city, they spared no expense in making sure the chorus was lavishly equipped." Pretty cool...