Transparency or Honesty?

There's a lot of talk these days about "transparency." It's in the church, in corporate business, and even in politics; Barack Obama has made it a stated point to try to be "transparent" in his transition to office. 

But I think most of the time we mistake "transparency" for "honesty." 

"Honesty" means I choose the topic, and speak about it truthfully. I try to be "honest" in my preaching and in my leadership. I speak about my strengths, weaknesses, and struggles. I hope people feel like I connect with them on a significant level because I feel the freedom to be honest with them. But it's impossible for me to be truly transparent when I control the environment. I can be honest, open, and even vulnerable, but not transparent. 

"Transparency" involves honesty, but the two words aren't synonymous. Transparency is more pervasive than honesty; it's open and honest about everything. Transparency means honesty when someone else controls the environment and topic, and we respond truthfully. Transparency demands community. It demands relationship. It demands trust. It is only possible when the "transparent" person is not in control.

You can (and must) be honest in everything with everyone.  But you can only be truly transparent with a few. 

0 comments: