New Years Resolutions

I realize most people aren't Resolution-minded, but I love them. I'm extremely goal-oriented, and love challenging myself to improve in the coming year with a clean slate. I think most of us overestimate what we can get done in a day, but underestimate what we can accomplish in a year. Resolutions help me be focused and intentional about the things I hope to accomplish in the coming year. 

So, here are a few I'm working toward this year: 

52 Books  - I posted about this a few weeks ago, so I won't go into a lot of detail. I try to read at least a chapter a day, and shoot for around a book a week. I'm always looking for recommendations... anything non-fiction. 

Paperless - By the end of 2009, with the exception of books, I won't have a shred of paper in my office except in the trashcan. Scanning technology combined with the convenience of Google Desktop and an amazing administrative assistant are going to help me put all my seminary notes, miscellaneous files, and paperwork a click away.  Al Gore will thank me. 

One year Bible - Kari and I did the NIV One-Year-Bible together this year, and that was good. This year, I'm going to do the NLT. YouVersion for my iPhone is going to make that a lot easier. Everyone should read through the Bible at least once every year. You're talking about an investment of about 15 minutes per day that is the best investment you could make.  
 
Re-Pimped Devotional Time - Several years I blogged about my Pimped Out Devotional Time. I got away from that this year to try something new, and wish I hadn't. I'm re-pimping and looking forward to it. (If you're interested, I'll be starting with Nehemiah). 

Focus Facebook  - One of the downfalls of going paperless is that everything is on my computer. Over the past couple of months, I've really struggled with maintaining my focus... especially when I'm studying. I get stuck, or need a quick brain-break, and find myself wasting time in places like Facebook, or reading other blogs. Those things are important, but can also be a distraction for me. I need to nip it in the bud, and plan to do better in 2009. 

I've got a couple of others that I'll probably post more about later - they demand more explanation than I'm able to do without making this post a marathon post. 

But, I'm curious. Any of you have Resolutions for 2009 that you plan to keep?

2 comments:

James W said...

I have a book suggestion. I loved the movie "Amazing Grace" and became interested in William Wilberforce. I am just finishing an incredible biography titled "William Wilberforce: A Hero for Humanity" by Kevin Belmonte. Unlike many biographies, it doesn't embellish things or "fill in the gaps" where things are not known. Yet it is very easy to read. I highly recommend it -- you will be deeply challenged by his faith, passion, and graciousness in dealing with his opponents.

lisa said...

i resolve to survive the year with three little ones. and look more seriously into adopting. and get josh potty trained.

that may sound like i'm underestimating my year, but honestly, that would use all the bandwidth my brain has left.

we're moving to denver in may, so that will take up an enormous use of my brain space.

i will be blogging soon about the things i would like to see myself do this year, but i have no idea when i'll have the brains to come up with those things.

that's is. my goal is to get more brain. this one is shot. hmmm, brains r' us? i'd bet zombies get priority parking there.

good grief.