Resolved: 2010

I really love Christmas and Easter because of the Truth of what we celebrate. But aside from those two holidays, New Years day may be my favorite holiday. I love the fresh start and clean slate. And I'm a goal setter by nature, so I get excited about the chance to reflect and evaluate.

Here are my goals for this year.

1. Read through the Bible this year, and through the Old Testament twice.
Monday I posted about my gaffe this year when it comes to Bible reading. I'm going to do better this year. I'm going to do a One Year Bible with one of the guys I meet with once a week. We're each going to read through it independently and then get together to talk about what God is teaching us. He's a younger believer with fresh eyes, so I can't wait to see what he'll teach me.

For an investment of fifteen minutes a day, I just don't see any reason I shouldn't make this a goal this year.

2. Pour my life into 10 reproducers this year
I've posted before about my renewed excitement about life-on-life discipleship. This year, I'll be on the lookout for 10 guys I can pour my life into throughout the year who will pour their lives into at least one other guy. Again, it's like the Bible reading for me: if there is a return of 100 percent per person, it's an investment worth making.

3. Read at least 15 books that are 100 years old or older.
Last year I read a bunch of books, but only a few that were truly outstanding. This year, I'm going to try to deepen my well by reading some theological works that are more than 100 years old. I've got some in my queue - one by Baxter, one by Spurgeon, and one by Phillips Jenkins, but would be open to suggestions.

4. Run a half marathon.
I don't usually set physical goals for New Year Resolutions, because frankly, I rarely keep them. But, this year I'm planning to run a half marathon. I've already started training, and if I can hold off the tendinitis in my foot, I'll be running the Cowtown Half Marathon in late February with my brother-in-law and some other friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm currently working through "The Confessions of St. Augustine" (ISBN 0-8024-5651-0) and "Johnathan Edwards on Knowing Christ" (ISBN 0-85151-5873-5) which would both meet your 100 years old criteria. Augustine is a harder read probably due to it being a translation and much older, but it is interesting insight into how his great mind worked. Edwards is more repetitive than I expected, but I suppose sermons are geared for a listener more than a reader, and this is a book of sermons including his most famous "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." Spurgeon's "Spiritual Warfare in a Believer's Life" (ISBN 1-883002-02-8) is also on my reading list this year.

lisa said...

dude! a half marathon? please post when you fulfill this. it's been a dream of mine forever to run marathons. i'm in no shape right now to do it, but i'm hoping to build up to it. very cool.

have you read much pascal? i love 'Mind on Fire.'

Andy Rodriguez said...

How did you do with these, bro?