Giving

Yesterday's lesson in the Young Singles ministry here at McKinney was over 2 Corinthians 8-12 - a passage in which Paul challenges the Corinthians to have an eternal perspective. 

Paul tells us that if we want to know whether or not we have an eternal perspective, we should check our checkbook. The way we invest our money is the ultimate test in where we have our focus because it's private, personal, and important to all of us (during the next campaign speech, count how many times a candidate mentions your money... they know how important it is to us). 

Every pastor I know gets a little bit nervous when we "have" to teach about giving. We know Jesus talked about money more than He talked about heaven or hell. We know it's important and a mark of obedience just as much as anything else. But we're a bit gunshy because of the greasy, slicked-up televangelists who use the contributions of their destitute viewers to fund their private jets. We dont' want to be "that pastor" who only preaches about money.

Even though it's hard for every pastor to preach about money, I kind of like it, because I feel the absolute freedom to tell people to put their money where their mouth is while leaving them free to apply that however they want. They don't have to give money to McKinney Church. 

Yeah, we need contributions to keep the lights on and the air conditioner running. But if every person at McKinney was voluntarily obedient in giving and chose to invest in what God is doing somewhere other than McKinney, that would be okay. We could worship in the dark, and we'd probably worship better than anyone has worshipped before, because everyone involved would be passionately invested in what God is doing. 

I'd love to be a part of that worship service. I'd probably give to that ministry too...

2 comments:

lisa said...

ok I have a question about that. you said you encourage your congregation to give and that you clarify that it doesn't necessarily have to be to your church. So are we free to give however much we want to whoever we want and count that as our tithe?

don't get me wrong - I believe we should financially support the church that we receive our teaching from, but I also want my tithe to support other believers doing God's work around the world. From the pulpit, I've alwyas heard that to give to charity should be above and beyond the tithe to the church.

don't know if this is really relevant beyond just arguing about what is tithing and what is 'extra' giving, but i'd still like to hear your answer. thanks.

Kara said...

I too would like to know your opinion on the above question...I have heard the same thing from the pulpit all my life, what's your $0.02?