Stewardship Journal

Several months ago, I read a book by D.A. Carson about his dad, Tom Carson, called "Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor." It was mainly a biography, and would be an easy, encouraging read for someone who is an ordinary pastor in an ordinary church wondering if God will ever use your life. Tom Carson was that kind of pastor whose life and ministry caused a ripple effect that continues still today, even though he himself often struggled with bouts of depression and discouragement that his ministry was not being effective. 

The majority of D.A. Carson's research was straight from his dad's journals, which were sporadically kept throughout Tom's life.  

I'm not much of a journaler. I've tried, many times influenced by my emo Navigator friends, but my journaling always seems to last about 2 weeks. Then the journal goes on the shelf until I get "convicted" again and buy a new journal. Blogging is about as close to journaling as I've been able to get. I'm just not built to be that much of an introspective guy. 

But, I've taken a play out of Tom Carson's playbook, and it seems to really be working for me. Rather than trying to do journaling at the beginning of my day, I've started keeping what I'm calling a "stewardship journal" at the end of my day. I jot some brief notes about how I spent my day, and how I invested (or failed to invest) my moments towards eternity. 

It's good for personal accountability, and good to encourage me in days when I don't feel like I've accomplished much. It's also been helpful in letting me know when I'm doing way too much... like last week for example. 

If you're concerned with whether or not you're investing your life in the right direction, you might try taking inventory at the end of your day. I've been at it for a couple of months, and it seems to be working pretty well for me - I'm well past my normal two-week crash-and-burn, if that says anything. 

1 comments:

nick strobel said...

i will pass it along. don't worry he isn't too much like me at all. he's talented and intelligent.