Busy Day

I'm trying to get things together for a sermon next Sunday (the 25th) on Malachi 2:17-3:5. It's all about the problem of evil, which should be a fun message to preach. It's a great reminder that judgment tomorrow means grace today. The people of Israel wanted God to judge evil on their timetable. He reminds them that He will judge evil, and that the judgment will include them. It's a pretty fun passage because God really turns the table on them by setting them up and then dropping the hammer.

The problem is, I feel like I'm spinning my wheels running down a question in 3:1.

Most of the time when you find something perplexing in the middle of sermon preparation, you have to just do the best you can with it in a short amount of time, prepare the rest of the sermon, and come back to the challenge if you have time. This time, it's not so easy because the way I handle 3:1 will affect the direction of the rest of the sermon.

I didn't sleep much last night because I kept rolling the passage over in my head trying to figure out this question. It's a frustrating place to be, but this morning I keep catching myself thinking about how fortunate I am to get paid for doing stuff like this. It's exhausting, but you can't get much better than this.

0 comments: