It's Raining!

This morning at 3:30am, my wife woke me up to tell me it was raining. I heard the thunder earlier in the night, so I didn't really grasp the significance of the announcement, and I certainly didn't think 3:30am was the right time to be celebrating.

She wasn't excited about it raining outside, but she was fairly excited about it raining from the air conditioning vent in the bathroom.

I told her it was just condensation. It's pretty warm and humid in Texas these days, and given the cold-nature of my wife, pretty warm and humid in our house most of the time (I fog up the mirrors in the bathroom when I take a cold shower after a run. Seriously). So, I rolled over, put the pillow over my head and told her to take an umbrella with her if she had to get up again.

That's when she tapped me on the shoulder and said, "no... it's pouring through the vent."

Dang it if she wasn't right.

So I've been up since 3:30am traversing beams in the attic, digging through itchy insulation, chasing down the source of the gush (a busted hot water pipe), turning off the water, mopping the attic, and trying to figure out how the heck we're going to get a pipe in our attic fixed before our vacation this weekend.

The water's off so I can't take a shower, have fiberglass insulation in places I didn't know existed, have to wear a suit today for a lunch engagement, and have to put the finishing touches on a sermon before I go out of town tomorrow. The good news? The day can't do anything but get better from here.

My favorite childrens book of all time is Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst, and I agree with Alexander: I think I'll move to Australia.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Isn't fun having to tend to home projects! We have the book about Alexander and we love it, but Caden doesn't quite get moving to Austrailia! HOpe you guys are doing well!

lisa said...

oh man. i'm praying for ya'll. we had a rainforest once in our pantry which resulted in a neighbor's foot falling through the ceiling over our dining room table as he was trying to help hubby replace our busted water heater. good times. well, no. not so much.

you're right. it's gotta get better from here on out.

Brenda Liniger said...

What an exciting night in your house,,,maybe next time you listen to your wife the first time. :)