Extraordinary

We had a meeting last night with 8 young singles who are interested in doing a one year or two year global mission project in the next couple of years. They won't all go, but a few of them might. It's really exciting to see young singles get excited about what God is doing in the world, and for them to be excited about the possibility of being stretched and used in new ways.

One of the girls made a comment last night that I thought was especially neat. When asked why she was considering moving overseas, she said (paraphrasing), "Because I don't want to be boring. I want to be involved in the things the God of the Universe is doing; extraordinary things."

Whether you pick up and move overseas, or walk next door to your neighbor's house, when you're investing your life in the plan and purpose of the Creator of the Universe, your life can't help but be extraordinary. That takes a lot of different forms for each of us, but I'm also convinced that many of us are content settling for boring.

Even when we live on the edge, we often live there by doing things our own way, with our own power, in our own time, with our own resources. In the big scheme of things, when compared to leaning in to the plan and purpose of an eternal God, even life on the edge is boring.

I agree with the girl in our meeting. I don't want to settle for boring. Not when I have a chance to be a part of what God is doing in my neighborhood, city, state, country, and world. I want to be a part of something extraordinary.

0 comments: