Family Friday - Baby Watch

We're about a month away from the birth of Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz Freeland. Kari's official due date is August 28th, but we think she may be able to induce as early as August 25th. That would work better for my schedule, seeing as how I've got a wedding the week after the 28th I need to be rested up for. And, college football season officially starts August 28th, so it would be nice to not have to watch those games in the hospital.

What? This baby isn't going to schedule his life around my schedule?

Seriously, people keep asking me if I'm "ready" for the baby to show up. The answer is, I'm as prepared as I can be, but I'm probably not ready.

It's like my two weddings this past weekend. I know from meeting with both of those couples that they were as prepared as they could be to be married. They'd done some extensive premarital counseling and talked about a lot of the things that can bite a married couple. But I also know from experience that they weren't "ready." There will be surprises for them - some good, some bad, but surprises nonetheless.

I'm not so naive to think I'm "ready" to be a father. I've read the books, I've observed a great father for 28 years, I know the Bible passages.... I'm prepared, but I'm not ready.

It will be nice, however, for me to finally have a part in the parenting. Right now, my experience with Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz is limited to a ultra-sound television screen and hormonal wife (both have been a delight, of course). Kari gets to/has to feel him moving around all the time. She's experiencing the pregnancy - I'm just watching it.

Trust me, I'm not complaining. I completely understand that I get the best end of this parenting deal... but I'm ready to experience fatherhood too. Check that: I'm prepared to experience fatherhood too.

3 comments:

Brenda Liniger said...

If you are like Ben you will feel helpless for the first month after the baby is born, especially if Kari is going to breastfeed. You will definitely get plenty of chances though to play with him and love on him though, you get a whole life time to be a daddy!

The Kinley's said...

You are awesome with my little handful, I think that help "prepare" you a little. We can't wait till little Masher gets here, so we can meet him and finally get to hear his real name!!

lisa said...

I wish I could bottle up that feeling when you meet your firstborn. It's such a mix of love, excitement, fear and awe. Plus I felt completely un-prepared. I remember thinking the hospital staff was highly irresponsible for letting me take my sweet red-head home by myself! Didn't they know Ben and I needed a set of nurses and baby whisperers to tell us what to do?!

For the first year, I would have given anything to be a part of a community living environment. Walden Two perhaps? :)

Oh yeah, tell Kari that I would build her an igloo if I could for this last home stretch. Being 8, 9 months pregnant in August in Texas was NO fun! Praying for you three.