Avoiding Burnout

I've mentioned my Friday morning Bible study before. That time (on my day off) at 6:30am is the highlight of my week every week. There is almost nothing better than hanging out with guys who are interested in growing, sharpening each other, and sharing lives together. Fridays are one of those things that give me life, and help me avoid burnout.

A few people have tried to talk to me about moving that Bible study off my day off, or moving my day off so I'm not "working" on my day off. But honestly, the fact that my Friday morning group is on my day off is part of what I enjoy most about it. See, I would meet with those guys even if it wasn't a part of my job. So, I don't see it as a part of my job - I see it as a part of my ministry.

I'm pretty firmly convinced that every pastor needs to have one or two "ministry" things they do on a regular basis that they would still do if they didn't get paid by a church. We all need some guys that we meet with, or some projects that we're working on, or some things that we're studying that are completely independent of our paycheck. We have to have those things so we don't dry up.

For me, hanging out with that group of guys on my day of continually reinforces the fact in my mind, and in the minds of anyone who is observant, that my ministry is not always a function of my job - it's a function of my heart.

1 comments:

Rob Hunt said...

I am right there with you. Guys in our small group meet Thursday nights at 9 pm to meet. It is the best time of the week for a number of us. I would love to hear what you guys do together an the logistics of how you meet on Friday mornings. If these brothers in Christ do it separate from their jobs, is it above me to meet at times separate from my job? Have a great day off!