Finishing Well...

I'm a young (really young) guy, so I don't usually spend much time thinking about "Finishing Well." I read the book "Finishing Well" by Bob Buford, and really enjoyed it. But, I read it thinking I would just file it away for 40 or 50 years until I'm ready to start finishing - I've just finished starting starting!

But last week, I was doing some preliminary study in 2 Peter for a sermon series we're doing this Summer, and realized that 2 Peter is all about finishing well - even if we're young.

I love how the basis for Peter's encouragement throughout the book is the imminent second coming of Jesus. And as Peter is winding down his life, he reminds his readers - whatever their age - to constantly have the mindset of finishing well, because none of us knows how much time we have.

We don't need to wait until we're in our sixties to start thinking about moving from "success to significance." We need to do significant things today. There's a sense of urgency throughout Peter's letter (and throughout the New Testament, for that matter) that I think the Church has lost these days to a certain degree. There's certainly a place for strategic initiatives and long-term planning, but what are you doing today to be finishing well?

Whether we're 27 or 67, we need to be in the business today of finishing well, even if we're just starting.

0 comments: