Elements

Elements is a study we designed when I was at Chase Oaks Church to help give brand new believers a birds-eye view of the Bible. I brought it with me to McKinney, and started a new group last night.

Elements isn't ever a study that is a huge draw - there's some humility in signing up for a class designed to give you a 30,000 foot view of Christianity, so we're usually only good for about 10 people each time. But when you get the right 10 people, things get fun in a hurry.

Last night, we started a new Elements group at McKinney, and I think we've got 9 of "the right" people... to the point I couldn't sleep last night.

I honestly think I could be satisfied if the only thing I ever did was cycle people through this study. There's nothing like seeing people's eyes light up when they "get it" and understand how the Bible fits together for the first time.

Some of you yay-hoos have been on me to write a book. I've always said I don't have enough to say to write a book, but if I ever do - Elements might be the one. I really haven't found anything out there that I think does a great job of helping people understand the story of the Bible without getting them lost in the weeds. Then again... if I put Elements in book form, I wouldn't get to see the look in people's eyes, and I'd miss that.

4 comments:

lisa said...

that's why there are writers' tours, press junkets and other such publicity.

although I bet you cring at the thought. :)

You HAVE to write a book, Chris. Not enough people know about this blog-

or their Savior, in a way they can understand...

Stevan said...

Could you provide a link to the "Elements" material? It sounds as if it would be great for a class I'm launching.

Chris Freeland said...

Stevan,

I would love to, but it's not online anywhere. Maybe when I get the book written ;)

Anonymous said...

Chris, Elements is worth its weight in gold. Last weekend after Elements our facilitator had the chance to lead someone to Christ. Its not just a good class for new believers...

Thanks for writing it. Maybe its time to think about polishing it up and putting feelers out there for making it a formal curriculum of some kind - although, that would kill your book idea.

What to do... what to do...