The Flag and the Faith - Part 4

This week, I've tried to think through some of the issues facing the individual and the institution when it comes to how we as Christians should respond around voting season in the United States. Frankly, I think we as Christians (both institutionally and individually) have been guilty of falling on both ends of the spectrum in the past several years. 

Many, many churches have abused their opportunity, and in doing so have confused the Gospel by promoting political candidates above promoting the King of kings and Lord of lords (Revelation 19:16). And this has happened on both sides of the aisle. We rightly recognize Jeremiah Wright's rank abuse of the pulpit, but gloss over Pat Buchanan's similar outrageous tendencies because we're a bit more inclined to agree with his point. 

On the other hand, many of us as individuals have been far too passive when it comes to our individual stewardship in participating in the workings of government. Luke 12:48 applies to politics as much as it does personal finance. As an American (though I realize many of you reading this are not American), I enjoy an involvement in the direction of the government that hoards of people throughout history have not enjoyed. That is a great gift, and a great stewardship for which I believe I'll ultimately be held accountable. 

Yet whether or not you're an American citizen with the privilege in participating in a Democratic Republic, one thing is important to remember: Our hope is not found in politics. 

I'm reminded of one of my all-time favorite hymns that contains some pretty important Truth to remember next Tuesday:

My hope is in the Lord 
Who gave Himself for me,
And paid the price of all my sin at Calvary.

For me He died, 
For me He lives, 
And everlasting light and life He freely gives. 

Daniel 2:17 reminds us that God is sovereign even over the election process. It is God who ultimately controls the outcome, and He will not be caught off guard. Whether our country elects John McCain, or sends Sarah Palin back to where she can see Russia from her house, God will not be taken off-guard. 

Proverbs 21:1 says, "The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the Lord; He turns it wherever He wishes." As important as the election process is, God is a God who can (and will) work His will, regardless of the political party we choose. Some of my far-right friends believe we're headed for World War III if we elect Barack Obama, and they may be right. But I won't lose a minute of sleep in the meantime. My far-left friends believe John McCain will destroy life as we know it, and they may be right. But that won't affect my eternity one iota. And that's where I'm going to focus - Today, next Tuesday, and for as long as I've got breath. 

No amount of "change" will match the change He can do in your life. No "maverick" ideals will come close to the revolutionary work of the cross. 

His grace has planned it all
'Tis mine but to receive
And recognize His work of love and Christ receive

For me, He died
For me, He lives
And everlasting light and life He freely gives. 

1 comments:

lisa said...

well put!