Help!

For the past couple of days I've been spending some of my "spare" time running down a couple of new ideas in theology that seem to be gaining popularity with younger theologians. We're in the process of trying to hire another pastor to our staff right now, and I've looked at a lot of resumes over the past couple of months. As a part of the questionnaire we send to candidates who show promise, we ask about the things they've read that have had a significant influence on their life. Many of those younger candidates are listing the work of NT Wright and James Dunn, who are proponents of what's called "The New Perspective(s) on Paul" as having a significant influence on their thinking.

I must have been passing notes to my wife during the class where those guys were mentioned in seminary, because until this week I knew next-to-nothing about that perspective. But that's not the point of my post.

Here's my problem. In order to gain a balanced understanding of the perspective, I've had to read at least two books: one that is an argument in favor of that position, and one that is a critical response to it. Now I love to read, but have a ministry to lead as well as a baby who poops in his diaper every ten minutes. I don't have time to wade through two or more books on every nuance of theology out there.

There are subscriptions out there for digests of secular management books, where CEOs and CFOs can read one periodical and get a summary and synopsis of the new books out that are starting to make waves in the world of management. That way, busy executives can peruse the "Big Ideas" of several books to glean the concepts and evaluate whether or not they need to actually read the book.

Does anyone know if something like that exists within the world of theology? Theological Journals do reviews of books, which is moderately helpful. But I'd prefer something that has less evaluation and more reflection of the book's actual content so I can do my own evaluation. Reviewers don't always reflect the contents of a book fairly or accurately, so they're not always the best source.

If nothing like that exists out there, it would be a great project for a few academically minded seminary graduates to undertake. I'd pay quite a bit of money to save that much time, and know several friends who would do the same.

Can someone help me?!

2 comments:

nick strobel said...

It's not the coalition type exchange you were talking about, but for brief overview and summary, have you checked out
http://www.thepaulpage.com/? There are some links that may be helpful? Congratulations by the way

Aidan said...

For business and management book summaries try http://www.bizsum.com.

It's a subscription service, but you can try it out for a month before you decide whether it's right for you.